2017 ASPS Breast Augmentation Statistics
If you are considering undergoing a breast augmentation surgical procedure, you are in good company. In fact, you will be joining more than 300,000 women who underwent the procedure in 2017.
This number comes from the most recent statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the leading professional organization for plastic and cosmetic surgeons, including Dr. Mark Deuber. Each year, the ASPS sends out a survey to its member surgeons to gather data for a “snapshot” image of current trends in plastic surgery. This data is then compiled and made available on the ASPS website.
The data for breast augmentation is particularly interesting, given its overall popularity. Read further to find out more about how breast augmentation measured up in the 2017 ASPS survey data.
Overall Popularity of Breast Augmentation
It is pretty obvious that breast augmentation surgery is popular. You hear about it on TV or radio, and read about it online or in gossip magazines on a constant basis. But what are the actual numbers in terms of how many patients underwent the procedure?
As mentioned previously, ASPS member surgeons performed more than 300,000 breast augmentation surgeries. This once again secured it the top position in popularity among cosmetic surgeries for the 11th straight year in a row. This was a 3 percent increase from its top position of more than 290,000 procedures in 2016.
Breast Implant Material
As the new, cohesive gel breasts implants (nicknamed “gummy bear” implants because of the material’s similarity in feel to the popular candy) continue to gain acceptance, ASPS member surgeons are continuing a trend of preferring silicone implants over saline implants.
In 2017, 87 percent of breast augmentation surgeries used silicone implants, while only 13 percent used saline implants.
Age Distribution of Patients in 2017
The age distribution among patients who sought out breast augmentation procedures from ASPS member surgeons in 2017 roughly followed the same pattern as in previous years.
- Among patients between the ages of 13 and 19, approximately 8,400 had breast augmentation (3 percent of the total number of such surgeries).
- Patients between the ages of 20 and 29 accounted for more than 85,000 breast augmentations (29 percent of the total).
- Those between the ages of 30 and 39 accounted for the majority of breast augmentations, with more than 111,000 surgeries (37 percent of the total).
- Patients between the ages of 40 and 54 had approximately the same number of surgeries as those between the ages of 20 and 29, with more than 87,000 surgeries (29 percent of the total).
- Finally, patients ages 55 and above underwent more than 7,500 breast augmentation procedures (2 percent of the total). These numbers are similar to those for patients between the ages of 13 and 19.
Based on these statistics, it looks as though breast augmentations are likely to continue on their upward trend as the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure, particularly among women between the ages of 40 and 54.
To schedule your breast augmentation consultation, contact our practice today.
Learn more about us and the procedures we offer in our video gallery.Watch Videos
QUESTIONS? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
We'd love to hear from you. Call 214.220.2712 or complete the form below.
Take a consultation from the privacy of your own home. A simple 3 step process.