American Society of Plastic Surgeons Releases 2017 Stats: Top Five Cosmetic Procedures
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the largest professional organizations in the United States for cosmetic and plastic surgeons, has released the 2017 statistics from its annual survey of its members. Each year, the ASPS sends out a questionnaire to its members to gather data on current trends in the field of cosmetic and plastic surgery, including which procedures are becoming more popular.
This data often matches the trends that Dr. Mark Deuber is seeing in his own practice, and the stats from last year are certainly no exception. Below are some of the data that ASPS gathered regarding the five most popular cosmetic surgical and minimally invasive procedures that patients requested from ASPS member surgeons.
Total Number of Cosmetic Procedures Continues to Rise
The 2017 statistics show that the total number of cosmetic procedures continues its steady trend upward. For 2017, ASPS member surgeons performed a total of slightly more than 17.5 million cosmetic surgical and minimally invasive procedures in the United States. This represented an increase of 2 percent from the almost 17.2 million procedures that were performed in 2016.
This also shows just how far cosmetic surgical and minimally invasive procedures have come since the year 2000, when a total of slightly more than 7.4 million cosmetic procedures were performed by ASPS member surgeons. This represented a sharp increase of 137 percent between 2000 and 2017.
Top Five Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
A total of 1.79 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed by ASPS member surgeons in 2017. This was a 1 percent increase from the 1.78 million procedures performed the previous year. The five most often performed cosmetic surgical procedures for 2017 were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378 procedures, up 3 percent from 290,467 procedures in 2016)
- Liposuction (246,354 procedures, up 5 percent from 235,237 procedures in 2016)
- Nose reshaping (218,924 procedures, down 2 percent from 223,018 procedures in 2016)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571 procedures, close to the 209,020 procedures in 2016)
- Tummy tuck (129,753 procedures, up 2 percent from 127,633 procedures in 2016)
Top Five Cosmetic Minimally Invasive Procedures
ASPS member surgeons performed a total of more than 15.7 million minimally invasive cosmetic procedures in 2017. This represents a 2 percent increase from the more than 15.4 million minimally invasive procedures performed in 2016. The top five minimally invasive cosmetic procedures for 2017 were:
- Botox injections (7.23 million procedures, up 2 percent from 7 million procedures in 2016)
- Soft tissue fillers (2.69 million procedures, up 3 percent from 2.6 million procedures in 2016)
- Chemical peel (1.37 million procedures, up 1 percent from 1.36 million procedures in 2016)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, down 2 percent from 1.2 million procedures in 2016)
- Microdermabrasion (740,287 procedures, down 4 percent from 775,014 procedures in 2016)
Interestingly, these were also the five overall most popular cosmetic procedures for 2017. This would seem to indicate that today’s cosmetic procedure patients are looking for new, innovative, minimally invasive procedures to enhance their features, particularly their facial appearance. Make a consultation appointment today to see what Dr. Deuber can do to help you improve your appearance as well.
Learn more about us and the procedures we offer in our video gallery.Watch Videos
QUESTIONS? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
We'd love to hear from you. Call 214.220.2712 or complete the form below.
Take a consultation from the privacy of your own home. A simple 3 step process.