American Society of Plastic Surgeons Releases Stats for 2018
Tracking yearly trends in terms of which cosmetic procedures are more popular than others can be interesting, as it provides a snapshot of how potential patients view themselves and areas that they wish to improve.
Each year, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the largest professional organization in the United States for plastic and cosmetic surgeons, compiles statistics on which procedures cosmetic and plastic surgeons performed the most often. These stats come from both a national database and a survey sent out to all board-certified plastic surgeons.
The data looks at the number of surgical and minimally invasive procedures for the year, as well as other demographics, such as age and gender. The ASPS has just released its stats for 2018. Here, Dr. Mark Deuber summarizes some of the general data from the stats.
During the previous year, cosmetic and plastic surgeons performed more than 17.7 million procedures. Compared to the more than 17.4 million procedures performed in 2017, last year saw an increase of almost a quarter-million procedures.
As expected, this continues the steady, upward trend of interest in cosmetic procedures that has been evident over the last several years.
Top Five Cosmetic Surgical Procedures for 2018
More than 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed on patients in 2018. In that year, the five most popular surgical procedures were:
- Breast augmentation (313,735 procedures, up 4 percent from 300,378 procedures in 2017)
- Liposuction (258,558 procedures, up 5 percent from 246,354 procedures in 2017)
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty) (213,780 procedures, down 2 percent from 218,924 procedures in 2017)
- Eyelid surgery (206,529 procedures, down 1 percent from 209,571 procedures in 2017)
- Tummy tuck (130,081 procedures, approximately the same as in 2017)
Top Five Cosmetic Minimally Invasive Procedures for 2018
Additionally, almost 16 million minimally invasive cosmetic procedures were performed in 2018. The five most popular procedures that patients underwent were:
- Botox (more than 7.4 million procedures, up 3 percent from more than 7.2 million in 2017)
- Soft tissue fillers (almost 2.7 million procedures, up 2 percent from more than 2.6 million in 2017)
- Chemical peel (almost 1.4 million procedures, approximately the same as in 2017)
- Laser hair removal (more than 1 million procedures, approximately the same as in 2017)
- Microdermabrasion (709,413 procedures, down 4 percent from 740,287 procedures in 2017)
Trends for 2018
One trend that Dr. Deuber has seen within his own practice over the past year has been increased interest in body sculpting and contouring procedures, such as liposuction. In many cases, patients want such procedures to get the final touches done after their efforts to get back into shape.
For example, the number of liposuction procedures last year jumped up by more than 12,000 (5 percent) from 246,354 procedures in 2017; buttock augmentation soared upward from 20,301 procedures in 2017 to 24,099 in 2018 (19 percent); and thigh lifts jumped up 5 percent from 9,648 in 2017 to 10,100 in 2018.
These statistics show the continuing, growing trend in favor of cosmetic procedures. Interestingly, this year’s statistics also show more of an emphasis on improving the contours of the overall body, rather than just focusing on the face.
Learn more about us and the procedures we offer in our video gallery.Watch Videos
QUESTIONS? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
We'd love to hear from you. Call 214.220.2712 or complete the form below.
Take a consultation from the privacy of your own home. A simple 3 step process.