BOTOX Cosmetic vs. Dermal Fillers: Comparing Injectables
As an experienced cosmetic plastic surgeon serving Dallas, TX, Dr. Mark A. Deuber knows that it’s important to give patients options. Some patients achieve the best results through facial rejuvenation surgery, while others benefit more from non-surgical treatments. Over the years, many patients have turned to cosmetic injections for their needs, but they often wonder what kind of injectable is right for them.
Let’s take moment to compare the two general injectable options available: BOTOX Cosmetic and dermal fillers. By covering the basics, you should have a better idea of what each injectable can achieve.
The Difference Between Injectable Options
Both BOTOX Cosmetic and dermal filler injections can be effective in reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles, but they differ in important ways.
- BOTOX Injections – BOTOX injections reduce the appearance of wrinkles by halting muscle contractions in the injection site. By preventing these muscles from contracting, certain facial lines are no longer visible.
- Dermal Fillers – Dermal filler injections reduce the appearance of wrinkles by adding volume to the injection site. Creases, hollows, and other imperfections can be smoothed away in the process.
When Are BOTOX Injections the Ideal Treatment Option?
BOTOX injections are the ideal treatment option for dynamic wrinkles. These are the kinds of wrinkles that appear when people make certain kinds of facial expressions. Examples of dynamic wrinkles include:
- Frown lines that form between your eyes
- Forehead furrows when your eyebrows are raised
- Crow’s feet at the corners of the eyes
- Certain wrinkles that appear around the mouth
If your cosmetic flaws predominantly involve these facial lines and wrinkles, you’ll benefit a great deal from BOTOX injections.
When Are Dermal Fillers the Ideal Treatment Option?
Dermal fillers are ideal for static wrinkles. These are the kinds of wrinkles that are visible when a person’s face is at rest. Examples of static wrinkles include:
- Deep forehead creases
- Nasolabial folds around the nose and mouth
- Lipstick lines around the mouth
- Laugh lines around the mouth
- Marionette lines around the lips and chin
- Fine lines around the eyes
In addition to treating wrinkles, dermal filler injections are great for treating acne scars, uneven surfaces of the skin, and hollows in different parts of the face. Since there are many kinds of dermal fillers available, there is bound to be an ideal filler option for you and your needs.
Can BOTOX Injections and Dermal Fillers Be Combined?
Some problem areas of the face have a mix of static wrinkles and dynamic wrinkles. With a carefully designed treatment plan, a mix of BOTOX Cosmetic and dermal fillers can help smooth away these different kinds of wrinkles, helping you look years younger in the process.
The Results of Cosmetic Injectable Treatment
Keep in mind that the results of most cosmetic injectables last for several months. Some dermal fillers will last longer, but generally speaking, once that time is up, your wrinkles will start showing up again.
Thankfully you can easily undergo repeat injectable treatments to prolong the cosmetic benefits of treatment.
Learn More About Your Treatment Options
For more information about cosmetic injectables and why they may be ideal for you, be sure to contact our cosmetic plastic surgery center. Our team is here to help you consider all of your treatment options and how they can benefit you.
Learn more about us and the procedures we offer in our video gallery.Watch Videos
QUESTIONS? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
We'd love to hear from you. Call 214.220.2712 or complete the form below.
Take a consultation from the privacy of your own home. A simple 3 step process.