Dallas plastic surgeon Mark Deuber uses BOTOX® injections and soft tissue fillers to rejuvenate skin that has become affected by wrinkles and loss of fat. Injectables can be used on their own to produce a more youthful appearance in patients, or they can be combined with other treatments, including facelift, eyelid surgery and brow lift, to address the signs of aging. Our patients in Dallas experience excellent results with BOTOX® Cosmetic, Juvéderm® XC, and RADIESSE®, which are some of the most effective and trusted injectables approved by the FDA. Each of these products is best suited to specific uses and areas of the face.
Video: Facial Rejuvenation – Surgery or Non-invasive Fillers?
The manner in which BOTOX® Cosmetic works differs from that of dermal filler products such as Juvéderm® XC and RADIESSE®. BOTOX® Cosmetic contains onabotulinumtoxinA, a naturally occurring toxin that, in small amounts, can be injected into the skin. When injected to the area around the eyes and on the forehead, the toxin temporarily inhibits the underlying muscle from contracting. As a result, BOTOX® Cosmetic relaxes the very muscles that cause facial wrinkles. Just two to three days after treatment, patients will notice that the upper third of the face has become smoother and the appearance of wrinkles minimized.
- Area of face/uses: Crow’s feet around the eyes, horizontal wrinkles on the forehead, the vertical creases between the brows.
- Effects visible in: Two to three days, full results within one week.
- Results last: Three to four months.
Juvéderm® XC (and RADIESSE®) differ from BOTOX® Cosmetic in two key ways. First, these products are considered soft tissue, skin, or dermal fillers; they are designed to plump up the area in which they are injected to “fill in” facial imperfections such as fine lines, deep folds, gauntness, and thin lips. Second, dermal fillers are indicated for use on the lower two thirds of the face, while BOTOX® Cosmetic is used on the upper third of the face.
Juvéderm® XC contains hyaluronic acid that is formulated using HYLACROSS™ technology, which produces a gel structure that is of smoother consistency than other hyaluronic acid products on the market. Because the product is thinner than RADIESSE®, it is more ideal for use on fine lines and moderate wrinkles, as well as for lip enhancement.
- Area of face/uses: Superficial wrinkles around the lips, mouth and nose; lip enhancement.
- Effects visible: Immediately, but swelling may take up to a week to go down.
- Results last: Six months to a year.
RADIESSE® contains a compound of calcium hydroxyl apatite microspheres suspended in a carboxymethylcellulose gel. The treatment stimulates the formation of connective tissue around the microspheres, producing additional volume in the skin. Patients with deep skin folds around the mouth and nose, facial sagging of the cheek and jowls, and a gaunt appearance are best suited to RADIESSE® treatment.
- Area of face/uses: Deep wrinkles and creases around the lips, mouth and nose; to address facial sagging; to fill in hollowed out areas under the eyes and cheeks; for nose enhancement.
- Effects visible: Immediately, but swelling may take up to a week or two to go down.
- Results last: Nine months to two years, depending on the injection site.
Not sure if BOTOX® Cosmetic, Juvéderm® XC, or RADIESSE® is right for you? Contact us in Dallas to schedule a consultation with Dr. Deuber.