New ASPS Stats Available: Top Five Most Popular Cosmetic Procedures
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is the largest professional organization of plastic surgeons in the United States. Each year, it conducts an annual survey of its members to obtain useful data on the changing trends and demographics within the specialty. The 2015 survey data has just been released.
Overall Popularity of Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
According to the ASPS, its members performed a total of almost 16 million cosmetic surgical and non-surgical procedures in 2015, which represented a 2 percent increase from 2014. This breaks down to almost 2 million surgical procedures, and about 14 million non-surgical procedures. In addition, almost 6 million reconstructive procedures, such as breast reconstruction after mastectomy, were performed.
Top Five Procedures
Surgical procedures: It is particularly noteworthy that tummy tuck procedures showed one of the biggest jumps, by almost 10 percent between 2014 and 2015. This may coincide with the growing weight loss industry, as patients seek to put the finishing touches on the results they have gotten from their weight loss efforts.
As expected, breast augmentation remained the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure in 2015, with almost 280,000 procedures performed that year (a 2 percent reduction from 2014). The remaining four most popular cosmetic surgical procedures are as follows:
- Liposuction – more than 222,000 procedures (up by 5 percent from 2014)
- Rhinoplasty (nose job) – almost 218,000 procedures (no change from 2014)
- Eyelid surgery – almost 200,000 procedures (up 1 percent from 2014)
- Tummy tuck – almost 130,000 procedures (up 9 percent from 2014)
Non-surgical procedures: Four of the top five non-surgical cosmetic procedures were specifically facial ones, which likely means that patients are opting for less invasive cosmetic procedures to attain the appearance that they desire. BOTOX® Cosmetic remained the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure, accounting for almost 7 million procedures, which increased by 1 percent from 2014. The other four most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedures were:
- Soft tissue fillers – more than 2 million (up by 6 percent from 2014)
- Chemical peels – more than 1 million (up by 5 percent from 2014)
- Laser hair removal – more than 1 million (no change from 2014)
- Microdermabrasion – more than 880,000 (9 percent decrease from 2014)
Reconstructive procedures: Although breast reconstruction was not among the top five reconstructive procedures (more than 100,000 procedures in 2015), it is still noteworthy, as the number of procedures increased by a remarkable 35 percent from the year 2000. A large part of this is due to tremendous advances in breast reconstruction over the past 15 years, including breast implant-based reconstruction. The top five reconstructive procedures are as follows:
- Tumor removal – more than 4 million (1 percent increase from 2014)
- Nonfacial laceration repair – more than 250,000 (1 percent increase from 2014)
- Maxillofacial surgery – more than 200,000 (1 percent increase from 2014)
- Scar revision – almost 200,000 (1 percent increase from 2014)
- Hand surgery – more than 130,000 (no change from 2014)
Overall, these statistics show that cosmetic procedures are still very popular. However, non-surgical procedures continue to be more popular than surgical ones. Dr. Mark Deuber predicts that this trend will continue as the Baby Boomer generation continues to age and is seeking ways to rejuvenate their appearance without surgical intervention.
Learn more about us and the procedures we offer in our video gallery.Watch Videos
QUESTIONS? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
We'd love to hear from you. Call 214.220.2712 or complete the form below.
Take a consultation from the privacy of your own home. A simple 3 step process.