Silicone, Saline, and Gummy Bear Breast Implants: A Comparison
If you want to look great and improve your curves and contours, breast augmentation surgery is worth considering. Countless patients throughout Dallas, TX who’ve met with Dr. Mark Deuber and undergone surgery have experienced great long-term results. In order to achieve the best results, it’s important that the procedure be carefully customized to the patient’s needs. That’s why there are different types of implants available.
Let’s compare the three types of implants that are most commonly used:
- Silicone breast implants
- Saline breast implants
- Gummy bear (highly cohesive gel) breast implants
By knowing the advantages and disadvantages of each, you can get a better idea of which type of implant might be best for you.
About Silicone Breast Implants
Silicone breast implants consist of a silicone shell filled with a silicone gel. While removed from the US market for most of the 1990s, silicone breast implants returned to the US with FDA approval in 2006.
The Pros and Cons of Silicone Breast Implants
The advantages of silicone breast implants include:
- Realistic texture and appearance
- Less visibility through the skin
The disadvantages of silicone breast implants include:
- More expensive than saline breast implants
- Implant ruptures harder to detect, which could mean increased health risk
- Larger incision required than saline breast implants
About Saline Breast Implants
Saline breast implants consist of a silicone shell filled with a safe saline solution. When silicone implants were taken off the US market, these were the only kinds of implants available stateside.
The Pros and Cons of Saline Breast Implants
The advantages of saline breast implants include:
- Can be placed using smaller incisions as well as hidden-incision techniques
- Can be custom-filled to meet various cosmetic needs
- If a rupture happens, the saline is safe compared to silicone
- More affordable than silicone breast implants
The disadvantages of saline breast implants include:
- Higher potential for rippling visible through the skin
- Firmer in texture than silicone breast implants
About Gummy Bear Breast Implants
The newest kind of implants, gummy bear breast implants are similar to silicone gel breast implants, but the filling is firmer and thicker. As a result, gummy bear breast implants are more stable than traditional silicone implants.
The Pros and Cons of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
The advantages of gummy bear breast implants include:
- Natural texture and appearance
- Less likely to leak given the nature of the implant composition
- Excellent long-term performance and appearance
The disadvantages of gummy bear breast implants include:
- More expensive than other breast implant options
- Firmer than traditional silicone implants
- Incision size is comparable to silicone implants
Picking the Best Implant for Your Needs
When it comes to picking the right breast implants for you, it’s important to discuss these matters with a skilled plastic surgeon. They can let you know how your cosmetic goals can best be met, and what other considerations should be made.
If you’re planning ahead for breast augmentation after the summer, you’ll have plenty of time to weigh your options and make the best possible decision when it comes to your breast enlargement surgery.
Learn More About Breast Augmentation
For more information about breast augmentation and whether or not it’s right for you, be sure to contact a skilled plastic surgeon. Our team looks forward to your visit and discussing these matters in greater detail.
Learn more about us and the procedures we offer in our video gallery.Watch Videos
QUESTIONS? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
We'd love to hear from you. Call 214.220.2712 or complete the form below.
Take a consultation from the privacy of your own home. A simple 3 step process.